You’ve just had your hair extensions installed and you’re feeling great. The last thing you want to happen is to wake up with dry, frizzy hair a few weeks later.
While your hair extensions are made with real human hair, you will still need to make a few adjustments in terms of how you care for your hair, extensions included. It’s important to remember that your natural hair is constantly nourished by your scalp’s natural oils but your hair extensions don’t receive the same nourishment.
This means that your extensions are going to need some extra care if you want to keep them looking fresh and beautiful.
10 Ways to Keep Your Extensions Fresh
- Don’t wash your hair too often. The more regularly you wash your hair, the faster your extensions will deteriorate. It’s also important to use the right shampoo and conditioner if you want to extend the life of your extensions.
- Avoid using conditioner on your roots. You want to keep your roots oil-free and using conditioner near your bonds could affect the glue and cause your extensions to slip.
- Heat protection spray is a must. If you’re a fan of straighteners and curling wands, you will need to make sure you always have a heat protection spray on hand, particularly one that’s safe for use on extensions.
- It’s best not to dye your hair at home. Dyeing your natural hair at home is completely fine but human hair extensions such as EH Hair need the expertise of a professional. Not only will a professional salon have the right products but they’ll be able to correctly match your colors too.
- Schedule a deep condition every month. To give your extensions an extra boost, use a deep conditioning treatment on your hair at least once a month. Just be sure to avoid the bonds of your extensions.
- Detangle your extensions. Using a wide tooth comb to detangle your hair extensions before you wash, brush or style them will keep frizziness and split ends away.
- Be gentle when drying your hair. Once you have hair extensions, you need to avoid vigorously towel drying your hair. If you don’t have time to air dry your hair, pat it dry with a towel before you set your hair dryer to a low heat.
- Use a soft hair tie during the night. To avoid damaging your hair and having to deal with tangles in the morning, use a soft hair tie to place your hair in a low ponytail or plait before bed.
- Stick to your maintenance appointments. Scheduling regular appointments at your salon to re-apply or move your extensions up will help keep them looking fresh.
- Use a swimming cap. Unfortunately, swimming does have the potential to damage your hair but if you will be swimming in a chlorinated pool, keep your hair extensions out of the water or use a tight swimming cap.