If you ever have the chance to go around the world, don’t miss the opportunity to ask for rice-based dishes in every country you go to. You’ll be nothing but amazed of the many shapes rice can take and how flavorful it is at all times. That’s because rise, ancient as it is, has become one of the most universal ingredients, every country has found a way to make it their own and give it a central place in their national gastronomy.
However, there’s no one dish equal to another and there is always a new one to try out. And the best thing now is that, even though the real experience can’t be replaced, you don’t really have to travel anymore, you can do it at the comfort of your own house, the recipes are just a click away.
Versatile and healthy
There’s this myth that rice is so high on the carbs that the amount we consume should be limited and, depending on your diet, restricted. But the truth is, as with any other food, the healthy aspect relies on the portion and, of course, on the pairing ingredients. Rice alone can be a great source of proteins and minerals, as well as vitamins and it’s usually recommended when taking care of the digestive tract. Besides, most rice-based recipes are vegan or have a vegan alternative. And last, but not least, nobody should be taking on a diet without any carbs and, as for that matter, rice can be the best option because of its versatility. The truth is, with rice, you’ll never get bored of your food and you’ll be keeping a healthy diet.
Rice types and a recipe
Just to add pros to this ancient ingredient, rice cannot only be made into a thousand dishes, it comes in as many ways as you can imagine. Go to any decent local store and you’ll find white rice, brown rice, long-grains, short-grains, fragrant rice, round rice and we could just keep going. There’s even orzo, a rice-shaped pasta you can replace rice with.
You might come across different recipes requiring different rice types and, even though they all bear some similarities, depending on the cooking technique, you’ll want to follow the instructions there. It’s not the same as cooking a dessert with a low-starch type of rice than with the appropriate kind.
Now, of the many dishes you can make with this ingredient, here’s one you can try: an easy egg fried rice to make and take. Note that this is just one version, but this recipe is highly adaptable to your likings. It can be stored and reheated, but keeping it in an airtight container is highly recommended.
- 2 cups of water.
- 1 cup of white rice.
- 2 eggs.
- 1 onion.
- ½ a carrot
- ½ a red bell pepper.
- ½ cup of peas.
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce.
- 1 tbsp of hot sauce.
- 1 tbsp of oil or butter.
- First, take a pan and pour two cups of water and sprinkle a pinch of salt. Bring it to a boil and add one cup of white rice. Cook the rice for fifteen minutes, until it’s fully cooked. Drain it and set asi to let it cool down.
- After you do that, take a tiny bowl and beat two eggs, all of them.
- Season with salt, black pepper, parika and some oregano.
- Take a skillet and preheat it with some oil. You can also use butter.
- Take the eggs to the skillet and make scrambled eggs. Once they are done, take them out of the pan and set aside.
- Take some previously peeled and diced onions and saute them for a couple of minutes with some salt all over them.
- Now you can add the diced carrots and red peppers. Add half a cup of peas too, so they start to soften.
- Add a tablespoon of hot sauce and blend everything together.
- After a couple of minutes, add the cool rice and cook for 2-3 minutes stirring continuously. Do not over cook the rice, just heat it up.
- Once it’s done, mix with the eggs and add soy sauce to top it all.
- You can sprinkle some fresh parsley on top before serving.