A closet is a useful place in a home. You need a place to put all of your clothing and accessories. Adding a sliding barn door with sliding barn door hardware can close off the closet and really make your room look put together.
When you get right down to it, organizing your closet or dresser can be a chore, and storing clothes always takes a bit of time. To start the organization of your clothing better, why not start with a system you create, a system that will help you decide what you should wear and what you should toss?
For those who don’t have vast amounts of clothing, it’s extremely useful to categorize our garments into seasons. For example, could you have a pile in a “winter” area instead of having a giant pile in one section? To easily see what clothes go together, it’s better to have all the same season on one pile. This way, you will always know what you have and can easily see when to buy something new.
Organize clothes in your closet when the seasons change
To get started, you can divide the clothes you have into seasons by dividing your clothing into sections that are either vertical or horizontal. For example, if you have a dresser and all of your shirts are on the top shelf, then that is one section. If your drawers are organized by color (which I’m sure many people do), then each drawer is a section. That way, when it’s time to change months, you have to move the clothing to another area and label it.
You have many options when it comes down to which garments you put where. You could have one square for summer, one for fall, one for winter, etc. If you have different colors of clothes, you can make a separate “color” category. If you’re unsure which season a certain item is appropriate for, a good rule of thumb is that if it feels like it would be warmer or colder during that time of year, you can label it as such.
However many sections and what type of sections make up the “season” is up to you. The main thing to remember is that there are no set rules on how many units should be present or what they should look like. Be creative and suit yourself.
The first step to this system is making a schedule for when you should change the season. For example, in the middle of June, you should be in the “summer” section. Whenever it is convenient, change units and change clothing by color every two months. When one season ends and another begins, take some time to review what clothes you have in there that are no longer appropriate for your current season.
To decide how many sections to have, consider how many clothes you own each season. Then divide them into sections according to how much space you want them to take up. For example, if you have only fifteen winter shirts, you could fit them into four sections and label them accordingly. If you have more than twenty, you might want to add another area or organize them by color.
A short list of things to consider when organizing your clothes
- It’s easier to keep organized if everything has its special spot
- If possible, it’s best to store only one type of clothing per section or house. For example, you shouldn’t hold your jeans there if you have shirts and sweaters in one area. It will keep things easily accessible and difficult to mix up
- Simplify the process even more by putting each of those categories into a box. It makes it easier to move the boxes when they need to be labeled or switched around
- If you live in a place with four seasons, make sure you consider what clothes are appropriate for each season and organize them accordingly. Don’t force yourself to use the same season for your clothes or drawers just because it’s convenient and might later hurt the process
- Be creative and think of ways that you could organize your clothing better. If you come up with a system that works for you, great. If not, who cares? Try something else or use one above and see how it works
The important thing is to try something that works for you. No one knows what’s best for your closet except yourself, so do whatever makes it easiest to get dressed in the morning and helps you decide what to wear throughout the week. Although this system doesn’t work for everyone, there are many people out there who have used it successfully.